Associate Director, Co-Director of Conflict to Peace Lab
1010 Derby Hall
154 N. Oval Mall
Columbus, OH 43210
- Ph.D., Social Psychology, University of Cape Town
Teri Murphy is the Associate Director at the Mershon Center for International Security Studies and Co-Director of the Conflict to Peace Lab. She has been actively engaged in conflict intervention and peacebuilding in several international contexts for the past 25 years. Her primary research interests focus on the intersection between peace, human security, and development.
As a peacebuilding scholar-practitioner, Teri’s applied research has taken place in conflict-affected settings including Afghanistan, Northern Ireland, Turkey/Syria, and the MENA region. Her particular focus is on co-designing intervention programs for relief, stabilization, and transitional processes. She has been a consultant, educator, and facilitator for multinational-private, public, and non-profit organizations in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and Central Asia.
Teri has written several policy briefs related to Turkey’s mediative influence and aid approach in the region. Her most current co-authored publication offers comparative considerations for Syria’s transition towards durable peace.
Under the direction of the Chair of Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution, Teri works with international partners, OSU faculty, and interested students to promote good research, sound policy, and effective peacebuilding practice. Her duties include developing and maintaining strategic program partnerships; monitoring, analyzing, and contextualizing ongoing intra- and inter-ethnic conflict in project areas; convening interdisciplinary faculty working teams for international research partnerships; and contributing to the on-going development and implementation of the Mershon Center’s 2019-2023 strategic plan.
Additionally, Teri will teach one undergraduate course annually in the International Studies Program’s International Conflict and Peace Studies minor program.
- "Transformation Through Justice for Syria" (Istanbul Policy Center Brief, 2017)
- "Simulation Games in Teaching International Relations: Insights from a Multi-Day, Multi-Stage, Multi-Issue Simulation on Cyprus" (International Studies Perspectives, 2014)
- "Turkey’s International Development Framework Case Study: Somalia" (Istanbul Policy Center Brief, 2014)
- "Gender Mainstreaming: Turkey’s Policies and Practices in Peacebuilding Initiatives" (Istanbul Policy Center Brief, 2013)
- "War, Trauma and Reality: Afghan Women’s Plight in Turkey" (Istanbul Policy Center Brief, 2013)
- "Synthesis Report of the Baseline Study on Civilian Capacity: A CIVCAP Joint Research Project," contributor (Norwegian Institute of International Affairs, 2012)
- "Turkey’s Civilian Capacity in Post Conflict Reconstruction" (Istanbul Policy Center Brief, 2012)